Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Slice of Life Tuesday

I woke up crabby Monday morning. I almost chalked it up to Monday blues, but something else was off. Then it came to me: I didn’t write Sunday, and after a month of writing every day for the Slice of Life challenge, I missed it. I’ve discovered I need writing to be part of my every day.

I kept wanting to write Sunday, but I didn’t take the time. Without the SOL Challenge, writing got bumped way down the priority list. This is one of those truisms that I need many opportunities to understand: make a date with yourself...create a routine...carve out time for what matters to you. I don’t want to leave writing to chance any more.

But that wasn’t all. I also realized that I missed the Slice of Life community--the kindness and generosity, reading the amazing writing every day. And it wasn’t just what SOL added to my life that made things better, but what taking time for the Slice of Life subtracted that improved my quality of life. During SOL I ignored Facebook completely and barely missed it. I wasn’t listening to the world news multiple times a day and definitely didn’t miss that. Sadly, SOL also bit a chunk out of my reading time, but that is something I can learn to manage.

So thanks. Thanks for being a part of this wonderful community, and thanks for taking time to read this post. Tuesday is already an improvement over Monday!


10 comments:

  1. I share your sentiments here. I felt as though I wa in withdrawal! That’s why I decided to join the April poem writing extravaganza. One year later I did both the March SOL and the April A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed my blog's commenting problem. I noticed it earlier today but didn't have time to troubleshoot.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for letting me know. It’s going to be a great resource!

      Delete
  2. Same here! Joined poem writing for the same reason as Glenda. (Want to join us??) I really struggle to write daily if I don't have some kind of a set routine, and I find it very easy to get away from the set routine when I am not focused on meeting goals with a challenge. This is a lesson I have to learn again and again in my writing life as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A poem a day is too much for me right now, but I’m sure to dip
      my toe in!

      Delete
  3. I too found my priorities shifted during the challenge and I missed the community the last two days. I spent far less time on Facebook during the challenge and found the SOL community so much more encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always suffer a little withdrawal after the SOL challenge. writing and reading and hearing from people ever day is totally, wonderfully addictive. I don't know how I manage to forget how much I enjoy the daily challenge and all that goes along with it.

    You've got a new regular reader here. I can't stop by every day, but I'll definitely be checking in to read now and again. I've enjoyed getting to read your slices this past month, and have enjoyed your comments on my blog. Thanks for being part of the challenge this year. I hope you'll continue to join the Tuesday slicing community! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the warm welcome and all of the supportive comments today and over the month. I feel so lucky to have connected with you and with all of the SOL community. TwoWritingTeachers has created an amazing community here and I'm glad to be a part of it.

      Delete
  5. All week, I have been thinking, "Oh, that would be a great slice. And then I remember I don't have to write one every day. Although I guess technically I could. Instead, I'm trying to write a poem every day. And really struggling! I still have to write one tonight! AARGH!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a challenge I’m content watching from afar for now. I don’t know how you manage it!

      Delete