Thursday, March 29, 2018

#SOL18 3-28-18 Book Ambassadors

The moment yesterday when I projected the list is a moment I want to remember. Silence reigned for a moment or two while students began scribbling on “Books I Want to Read” lists in reader’s notebooks, then a switch flipped and it was raucous. 

“Can I have Goldfish Boy?”

“HOLD ON! Not that fast.”

“I call Me and Marvin Gardens!”

A chorus replied, “No, way! I want it!” 

“I get Posted.”

“Ms. Bixby’s Last day, please.”

These are my Book Ambassadors “calling” titles. They want the opportunity to give book talks on new library titles to other classrooms. Some titles are new to the library, but have been in our classroom library for a while. Others are new to us. The competition was for books we already know we love, between readers who passionately want to be the one to book talk them. In the end, we had to have Rock/Paper/Scissors face-offs for a couple and pull sticks for others. 

Do you have Book Ambassadors in your school? What processes do you have in place?


4 comments:

  1. We don't have book ambassadors at my school. Sadly, I don't know if we have a culture that would even promote that. Our older kids really don't like books all that much. I have worked really hard this year to change it, but I don't feel like I have done very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered about that, Carol. It makes me sad to contemplate. I do have a special group this year, and I’ve had almost two years with half—just us, in the classroom all day. I am sure they would respond differently if they were in a middle school setting—or probably even in a straight 6th, or straight 5th, rather than a 5/6. I wonder if it will be a possibility for me to repeat it next year. That’s one of the reasons I asked. Thanks for replying with such honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea, and I have some classrooms that would be excited for it. What a fun way to celebrate books and make kids important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You KNOW you've got readers when they're battling over the right to book talk! Love this so much!

    ReplyDelete