Tuesday, March 6, 2018

#SOL18 3-6-18 High Maintenance

When she was born she looked like a smooth coated Guinea Pig. Even before her eyes were open, she wanted to crawl up under my chin and cuddle. When her eyes opened, she wanted to be cuddled while staring into my eyes. Big brown eyes and long Cocker Spaniel eyelashes from her mama. When she was twelve weeks, and we got to bring her home, she hopped like a bunny. It took her a while to learn to walk and even longer to conquer the stairs.

These days she is having trouble walking again. She still thinks she can jump for treats, but ends up on her back when her feet slip out from under her. She still loves to be cuddled while she stares into my eyes. But her eyes are milky now. Once a fierce guardian of her territory, she no longer barks at the doorbell. We surprise her when we come home and she is often still asleep. The first time that happened I was as confused as she was.

Cushing’s disease pushes her to drink ridiculous amounts of water, and then she follows me around nosing my calf until I dry her face. She snores. She has arthritis and has recently become food aggressive. She is as high maintenance as I am, and I can’t imagine what I will do without her.









This post is my daily Slice of Life (#SOL18) and is a part of the annual March challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers. According to Two Writing Teachers, a Slice of Life, or simply a “Slice,” is “a story about a small segment of someone’s day, a poem that tells about a small moment in time, a collection of words and photos that describes a scenario.”

6 comments:

  1. My lab is eleven years old. She's gray around the muzzle and regularly loses her footing going up the stairs. I am going to miss her when she's gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stairs. What a horrible invention. I feel for your sweet girl.

      Delete
  2. My heart was in this from the first second, growing more full as you continued. Our lives are so enriched by our pets, and their aging, illness, passing is so hard. As I type this, one of my boys (I have two cats) has just run up to head-butt my leg and let me know he's ready for some petting. May you have many more loving cuddles. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It’s good to find the animal lovers out there!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Tamara, I felt this one. The details you choose show the struggles of old age, but she still has so much dignity. My old pittie is 13 and falls nearly every time she tries to get onto the couch and often can't make it outside to the bathroom, but otherwise seems to still be enjoying significant quality of life. Loves her snuggles, love her Kong, loves her breakfast and supper, loves finding a sunbeam for a nap. I should really write a slice about her. Thank you for this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response. Your post is already well on its way. The milestones you mention are ones all dog lovers will recognize. The couch, the sunbeam, my heart aches. I won’t blame you if you don’t end up writing it, though. What’s the quote about writing being easy, just sit down at the keyboard and open a vein?

      Delete