Sunday, March 18, 2018

#SOL18 3-18-18 Writer's Club

Writer’s Club- Year One


As in so much of life, the dream and the reality are two different things. What I envisioned: an extra hour of workshop tucked in after school a couple of days a month where my most passionate and motivated writers come to learn advanced crafts of writing and apply them to the polished little gem-like pieces they each created.


In the first quarter, when we were getting underway, I asked what students hoped for from Writer’s Club and designed mini-lessons to match. Meanwhile, students prepared pieces to submit to a writing contest through our state ILA affiliate.


The tension between a laser-focus on “advanced crafts of writing” and being student-driven, became apparent late in the second quarter, after we sent off the single submission we were allowed for the writing contest. Having to select a single submission put a strain on our community. In the midst of that strain, they decided to do some writing together. I was relieved at the thought of collaboration rather than competition, which I knew would be healthier for our community of writers.


It was then that they got super-excited about creating a collaborative novel. They co-created a setting and a loose plot outline, then they each designed a character and agreed that their novel would shift perspectives between those characters. It was and is organic, completely student-owned and driven. I thought, “Yes! Back-up work!”


I asked that they share their Google docs with me, and I have popped in here and there, but, in the spirit of back-up work, I’ve been hands-off. The challenge for me was, I eventually came to view this back-up work like an invasive weed. It took over Writer’s Club and was all many students wanted to do. Where were the polished little gems I had envisioned?  


If I didn’t closely monitor, the back-up work snuck into regular class time and displaced assignments. The Writer’s Club mini-lessons I planned began to feel like an intrusion. No one was interested in preparing submissions for other contests I found. I knew something was going well, since I got twice as many hugs from my 6th graders leaving writer’s club as I did on any other day, but I was a little sad because Writer’s Club wasn’t what I’d envisioned. I wasn’t prepared for back-up work to become THE work of Writer’s Club. Clinging to my vision of Writer’s Club kept me from appreciating what my students had created.


I realize now that for our last quarter together, I need to get out of the way and figure out how to make my mini-lessons applicable to the back-up work. I need to think about endings. What can I gift these writers in these last weeks before I send them off to middle school? How can I celebrate our actual work together as writers rather than regretting that it didn’t match what I had envisioned?


I chose the title of this piece to remind myself that I will have an opportunity to do this again. I value attempts--even in myself. This was year one. I will do things differently. I will tweak. Maybe I will make peace with back-up work being the work of Writer’s Club in the future. The opportunity to reflect and revise is one of the gifts of our profession. Meanwhile, I will remind myself, I’m sending ten sixth graders into the world confident in their identity and agency as writers.

11 comments:

  1. I love that you have a Writer's Club. I do a writing club on Tuesday with my 5th graders. My numbers have dwindled over the months but I have a few dedicated kids who come week after week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to have found someone else doing it with the same age students, more or less. What does your Writer's Club routine look like?

      Delete
  2. How cool to have a writer's club. I love that teachers are willing to work with students with their passions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A writers' club. So great that they are working so well collaboratively. What is your wish for them for next year when they are not with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question, Fran. My wish is that they will continue to write and have the drive to improve their craft. I need to remember to keep that in mind.

      Delete
  4. A collaborative novel, using Google Docs, where everyone can contribute?!! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell them you said so. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. The product is fascinating, but the way these students are identifying themselves as writers is awesome! Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that they have taken over and made the Writers' Club their own! And I think some mini-lessons on ending would be perfect. I am thinking about two multi-voice novelsI have read this year- Laura Shovan's LAST FIFTH GRADE and Alan Gratz's refuge. I remember, thinking midway through those, "How is this author ever going to get out of here? And then both of them did, really well. Will you actually publish the novel and distribute copies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the time, I also love that they've taken the wheel. Sometimes it takes writing about it to realize what's bothering me. Then, many times, I just have to laugh at myself.

      Refugee was one of our read alouds, so that might have influenced them. But they're all avid readers, as well. So you've given me an idea. They could probably name a dozen or so examples of this structure...then we could study how the various authors wrapped things up. Fortunately, unlike Refugee, my students' narrators all exist in the same time and place! Thank you!

      I hope they get to a place where it's ready to be published. That would be a fun surprise to celebrate them.

      Delete
  7. This is so fascinating! If your wish is truly independence for them, then you've got it. You're done! You can just settle back for the rest of the year and watch them go, LOL.

    ReplyDelete