Sunday, March 4, 2018

SOL18 3-3 Posted Late

The finches at the feeder flit from feeder, to perch, to birdbath, chasing and pestering one another. Before the scrub jay came for a drink, they scattered like pepper from a drop of soap. Some flew out of sight, while others watched the jay from the fence nearby.


The whole post swayed when the scrub jay landed. As he waited for the swaying to calm, he surveyed the area imperiously and only then took a drink.

Today my mind flitted from topic to topic. When monkey mind landed, some of my thoughts flew away entirely, others waited patiently on a nearby fence. Knowing about monkey mind doesn’t make you immune.

Here’s what it sounded like for me:
That metaphor is too much of a stretch.
You don’t know enough about that topic to be writing about it.
There’s nothing personal in this slice of life.
That’s a great topic. Maybe you should save it for later in the month.
What if you write about that and your mom reads it?
That’s too much like the post you just commented on.

I wrote a lot yesterday, but couldn’t bring myself to hit the publish button.

Good thing my fail came so early. Now I can tell my students about what I did, and ask what their plan is. I’ll let you know what they say.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's so hard to settle on a topic. Your beginning metaphor works really well. I started three different slices today before I settled on one. And I don't even really like it, but I'm too tired to try again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment on the metaphor. That feedback helps. It also helps to know that you get too tired to try again, Carol.

      Delete