Sunday, March 4, 2018

SOL18 3-4 Gratefulness


“In daily life we must see that it is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy.” Brother David Steindl-Rast




Lavender
Lilac
Honeysuckle


Pine forests
Nordstrom
Books


Lemon
Oranges
Rain


The sun on my eyelids,
the part in my hair,
my hands.


Meadowlark calls
Acoustic guitar
Thunder


Rubbing cheeks with people I love and small children
The delicate hands of elderly ladies
Dog snuggles
Flair Paper Mate felt tips
New notebooks
Book stores


Uninterrupted time to think
Dates with a close friend
The movie theater on the afternoon of a hot summer day



This post is my daily Slice of Life (#SOL18) and is a part of the annual March challenge hosted by Two Writing Teachers. According to Two Writing Teachers, a Slice of Life, or simply a “Slice,” is “a story about a small segment of someone’s day, a poem that tells about a small moment in time, a collection of words and photos that describes a scenario.”

3 comments:

  1. So many surprising and unusual lines here. I think the power of the piece comes from those unexpected juxtapositions. I also love the idea of this piece and I'm looking forward to trying it out myself later in the month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote! Some big truth there! And you have collected so many lovely moments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I keep rolling this quote around in my mind, trying to internalize it. I’m glad it spoke to you too.

      Delete